Pumpkin flesh is nutrient-rich and low in calories. One cup of pumpkin puree contains only 83 calories (compare to sweet potato which has three times as many calories). It's also high in fiber (7 g per serving) has more potassium than bananas, is a good source of magnesium and iron, and provides 763% RDA of vitamin A!
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of iron and can thus help with anemia. (Source)
- They're also a good plant source of tryptophan, which can aid with insomnia. (Source)
- Extracts from the seed have also been found to be a powerful antioxidant. (Source)
- A combination of flax and pumpkin seeds have been found to promote heart health and liver function. (Source)
Pumpkin seed oil
- Pumpkin seed oil has been found to reverse male pattern balding at a dose of 400 mg per day. (Source)
- It's also been found to inhibit prostate enlargement (Source) (Source)
- Pumpkin seed oil has also been found to help reduce symptoms associated with menopause, reducing hot flashes, etc. (Source)
- Has also been found to help lower blood pressure and improve lipid profiles in animal studies, helping to improve health in low-estrogen states. (Source)
photo credit: valkyrieh116 via photopin cc
For educational purposes only; not intended to treat, cure, or prevent disease.