Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How Bubble and Bee Was Born

Sometimes people ask us how we came up with the name Bubble and Bee. Have a minute? Here's the real story...


In the beginning right before we launched our products at the Farmer's Market, we were going to call ourselves Wild Life Organics. I had done my due dilligence and researched the name through the trademark office, Steve had created a bunch of designs for our labels, we started getting banners printed...then, two weeks before the Farmer's Market, we came to a screeching halt. I did a double-check with the trademark office and lo and behold there was somebody already using that name. I had missed it in my initial search! All of Steve's designs were gone out the window. All of our marketing materials were now garbage. I felt horrible because I had made such a stupid mistake. We had to hurry and come up with a completely new name, design--everything before the market began. We had a bunch of names we had come up with--trying to stay in the vein of Wild Life Organics, but they just weren't working. We were calling and e-mailing friends and family. I'm sure they were tired of hearing all the crazy names we were coming up with. Finally Steve came up with Bubble and Bee and it stuck. However, I wasn't quite sure of it all.

The new Bubble and Bee packaging he came up with was very fun and playful, but I wasn't sure that it was the right decision. I thought we had to be like the other organic body care products with photos of herbs and such. So, that first day at the Farmer's Market I was really biting my nails. This was the culmination of two and a half years of research and development and there was a lot at stake--not just financially but emotionally! We got there at 7 am (after staying up all through the night) and set up the booth and by 8 we were ready to go. For the first hour things were really slow (as they usually are at the market--but I didn't know that then) and I was ready to chew Steve out about how he had gone "too playful" with the packaging. But then all of the sudden the people came and the first thing out of everyone's mouth was "I looove your packaging!" and it's been that way every day since. Suffice it to say that I've been living on a steady diet of crow for about a year. I've grown quite accustomed to its taste.

It's been over a year since that fateful day when we launched this line---we've been so busy we even forgot to celebrate our one-year Bubble and Bee anniversary! We are truly grateful to every one of you who have helped support this organic endeavor since we started it. Thank you.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree- I LOVE your packaging (and your name)! :-) I was especially delighted with the new label design of the shower gel! It is so fun! And- unlike the old label- the ink doesn't run when it gets wet. Kudos to you guys- for your great packaging designs for your even greater products! I'm a customer for life! :-) I've even added your store & blog links to my blogroll- because I believe in your products so much!

Anonymous said...

My wife loves your products. We just talked about the article about your company that was in the Deseret News today. My wife just started using your products 2 weeks ago and loves them. She says she wished you marketed yourself a bit better because then she would have known about them sooner. Great Product!

Karen Hauley said...

I am a two-year breast cancer survivor and have been researching cancer information since my diagnosis. Phyto-estrogens and harmful chemicals are at the top of my list of things to avoid: from food that I put in my body and how it's prepared (definitely no food microwaved in plastic)to what I put on my body. I've been amazed at how difficult it's been to find cosmetics and hygeine products that are chemical-free. I read your Nov 3 article in the (Salt Lake) Deseret News and I'm excited to try your products. I applaud you for your efforts and encourage you to keep up the good work. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I recently walked into your store at Trolley Square just looking but found the Pit Putty. Funny name but it has been a week and I already have found a difference. You were great at giving me all the information I needed since I had been looking for something new for monthes. I can't wait to try another product. Also I think I got my husband so interested he will come in and get some too.
Thanks!

Aaliyah said...

I am very happy to have found your site. Found you over on SafeMamma. Your story is amazing, I think I would have torn my hair out along with eating my nails lol.

Amazing how you got up and running and I agree, your packaging is great and the name is wonderful!